Saturday, October 3, 2026

Strong by the Strength of the Living God

Single unassuming stone hidden away
In David's whirling slingshot,
As he walks to meet the giant,
In the valley between the two mountains,
Where the two armies faced each other.

And David prayed: 
"Forty days, you came out with your daily taunt,
Give me a man who can fight me.
Behold, Israel gives you a boy.
I have struck both lion and bear,
Grabbed them by the throat, strangled and killed them,
So that my sheep may be safe.
The devouring, wandering lions I kill,
As did Samson, with bare hands,
Strong by the strength of the living God."

"I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts"

The stone flies foreward, with frightening intrepidity,
With a sudden accuracy of its own,
And strikes the warrior-giant, who falls instantly.
And the stone too falls to the ground,
As the Israelites charge to fight the enemy army.

Long after the battle is won, and all have left,
I, the hidden observer of these events,
Notice the stone remain there on the ground.
The world twirls like a top,
And years and years and years go by,
And I imagine that one day Christ speaks to Peter
At this very spot where the stone lies,
"You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church,
And the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."
After Peter has left, Christ Jesus notices me,
And looks at me with the kindest eyes.
He beckons me closer, and I go to his side.
He gestures towards the enemy army 
That had stealthily crept up behind me,
A myriad of vices and twisted ambitions,
Hoping to destroy me.
He picks up the stone that lay on the ground,
And throws it at the army.
The stone becomes a immovable rock
Thrown by the Unmoved Mover,
And destroys instantly all the enemies of God.

I glance at him. He smiles, I smile back,
And I follow him as he walks east,
And together we walk towards 
The forever-rising sun

No comments:

Post a Comment